Wednesday, February 13, 2008

From the January issue of Real Simple

Chickpea Pasta with Almonds and Parmesan
(NOTE FROM NATALIE: all of my changes and notes are below the recipe)

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
7 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 pound angel hair pasta
1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, red pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring, until the broth is nearly absorbed and the pasta is al dente, about 6 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and parsley. Divide among individual bowls and top with the almonds and Parmesan.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 652(22% from fat); FAT 14g (sat 1g); SUGAR 6g; PROTEIN 26g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; SODIUM 782mg; FIBER 7g; CARBOHYDRATE 110g
Sara Quessenberry
Real Simple, JANUARY 2008


So, my changes were:
I used 2 HEAPING TBS of minced garlic
I added 1 tsp dried oregano
I added 1/4 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
I used 3 cups of vegetable broth and 4 cups chicken broth
I didn't use any red pepper flakes
I used 1 lb of whole wheat farfale pasta
I used a 25 oz can of garbanzo beans that after draining and kid snacking was just over 1 1/4 C
I used basil instead of parsley and chopped it fine
I didn't use any almonds
I used 1 cup of freshly grated Parmesan

I added the salt while cooking the garlic
I cooked the garlic for 5 min
I cooked the pasta for 9 min because at 6 min it was still too al dente
I poured off the remaining unabsorbed broth into a 2-Cup measuring cup so I could add it back in after I poured and stirred in the Parmesan cheese
It must have been good because both kids had seconds!
Joe did not have any since this is an Atkins unfriendly dish


AND I'm halfway through my February issue of Real Simple. They sent me the March issue yesterday but I'll have those read by next week and then I can start on all the unread issues of MS Living that have acumulated since September. I'm getting LOTS of reading done while the kids ride bikes every day!

No comments: