Saturday, July 28, 2007

I felt heaven ...

... and it was a new bra.
Yesterday, after seeing Joe McDermott at Pottery Barn Kids, the kids and I went on over to Nordstrom (interesting history - read the link) and after buying some cute accessories for our Crocs I decided to check out their bra selection which they are well known for. Well, a wonderful girl took care of me (Hey, I live in the South and she looked at least 15 years younger than me so I'm comfortable calling her a girl) and, low and behold, I AM the size that I thought I was. She picked out a bra for me that met my specifications but was a bigger size for me to try on. She checked the fit, decided that I needed the smaller band size and brought me several to try on. She checked the fit on those, listened to my comments and brought some more. The third bra in the second batch was incredible in it's fit - comfort-wise it was like I was wearing nothing, but hold-wise it was fantastic. And under my Lycra-enhanced tee-shirt it looked fabulous - the right shape, no lumps from lace, no seems, no headlights! Unfortunately it was on sale and they were sold out in the nude color so I couldn't walk out of the store wearing it but I loved it so much that I ordered 2 and for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE AND STILL SALE PRICED they will arrive at my door in 3 to 5 business days!!
OK, some may say "What's the big deal, it's just a bra" but you don't understand. See this is my first real bra purchase in 8 years. Yes I said 8 years. See I got pregnant 7 years ago and since giving birth in 2001 I have been wearing nursing bras, sport bras, and camisoles with built-in shelf bras for the last 6 years. I'm close enough to the end of nursing that I don't need one of those bras anymore and most of my old pre-pregnancy bras are no longer wearable (Hello Goodwill!) or give me a lumpy look under today's clingier tops. So lately every time I go department store shopping (sorry but I consider Walmart and Target to be department stores) I've been looking in the bra aisles, hoping to find a new life for my chest and coming up empty (mind you, even without 2 kids in tow I don't like shopping). I am so relieved to get this taken care of!!
Oh, and the kids were fabulous also! They spent the entire time playing with the mirrors and wearing the bras over top of their clothes and playing with the measuring tape. Paul looked under the dressing room divider only once and he apologized shortly afterward!
And the Joe McDermott show was really good and we bought his latest CD, Everybody Plays Air Guitar.
There will be no pictures of the new bras but I fixed an AWESOME version of ratatouille the other night and I did take pictures of that so those will be posted some time soon.

2 comments:

Susan said...

They say getting one with the right fit is so important...and that most of us don't have that. I went to Penneys not long ago to try and get the right one and it was a disaster. Maybe I should try Nordstroms.

:-) Susan

Jamie said...

Oh no! Penny's will not help you at all!

You must either go to Norstrom's or Petty Coat Fair. Those are the only two places in Austin to get properly fitted for a bra.