Thursday, January 04, 2007

Martha Scores Again

We - Giselle helped with all the measuring and Paul helped with all the cleanup and both licked the beaters - made Martha Stewart's Classic Blueberry Crumb Cake as a birthday cake the other day and it was a HIT! We changed it up a bit though = (1) we used frozen blueberries (self-frozen from the fresh blueberries bought at the Farmers Market this last summer) instead of truely fresh and (2) we used a 9-inch springform pan (which it filled COMPLETELY) and (3) we had to cook it for 1 hour and 25 min in the toaster oven - the first hour was on regular bake and the last 25 min were on convection bake - we did preheat it.
It was sooo moist - I guess all that butter and sour cream! Before he had a piece, Joe asked if he could put Shedds Spread on it (that's what he usually slathers all over his coffee cakes and pecan rolls and muffins - GROSS!) I told him that I would be totally offended if he put a single bit of that on the cake I just made and that it was totally unnecessary since the cake and topping combined have 3 sticks of butter in them. He had a giant slice then (I cut the cake in my usual 8 slices - quartered once and then quartered again - but they looked huge so I cut half of those in half) and another one about 3 hours later.

That's a serving platter not a regular-sized plate and it was at least 3 inches high

1 comment:

Suz said...

Yummy! I'll have to try that ... My blueberry bush is full of blossoms and even some little green bluberries. But certainly not 3 cups worth.