Tuesday, May 13, 2008

ouch!!!

So I'm sitting at the dinner table, finishing off the rest of my supper after the kids have gone to bed, reading the latest issue of ESPN The Magazine (thank you Thomas for letting me read it for a week each time before passing it on to you) and I come across a little ditty in the article about playing through the pain. Now, I come from a VERY athletic family and we were a very play through the pain lot. Not because our parents said to but due to our own sports ethic. So this little blurb is about a rugby player from New Zealand by the name of Wayne Shelford. Now Wayne, in the middle of a typical rugby game, got kicked in the face and lost 3 teeth, got kicked in the head and kicked in the groin.

Stick with me here (or don't) because it gets a LOT worse.


20 minutes before the end of the game he's delirious from the concussion (remember the kick in the head?) and goes to the bench. The doc checks him out and discovers that not only is his scrotum ripped open but his testicle is totally hangin' out!!

I'm not a guy but I think I can imagine what pain that must have been and all I can do is wince and say OUCH!!

If you Google him you can read other versions of the story but this is his version as told to ESPN.

Paul is NOT allowed to play rugby!! I want grandkids and lots of them!

No comments: