Saturday, April 07, 2007

Too Cold For April

AUGH! This is WAY TOO COLD!!!! It's 38 degree Fahrenheit right now out our back door. It was so cold and rainy at the market that even though we've been home for 1 and 1 half hours I just now took off my fleece jacket! Gosh it was miserable there today! And you can see what time I was up until last night since I went to bed right after that last post. We got up at 8:30 and we all would have rather stayed in bed but we had a job to do so we ate some hot blueberry oatmeal and headed out of the house at 9:30. It was already cold so we wore long pants, turtle neck shirts and jackets. The kids wore their new rain suits with their rain boots and I wore my old leaky raincoat and tennis shoes. The kids spent almost the entire market in the truck and the minivan - they were out just long enough when we got there to procure some free black bean tamales.
I got some beef cutlets to cook up for dinner tomorrow, an entire plant of collards, 2 bunches of chard (1 for me and one for my sister), some parsley for my sister (who we'll be seeing on Monday), 2 dozen eggs (Joe hasn't been eating much bacon and eggs so we're a bit over-stocked) and 6 quarts of milk. For helping Aunt Nita break down her tent I got paid a lemon meringue pie and a bag of decorated Easter cookies. From the cheese guy I bought some plain cream cheese, some plain chunk curd cheese, some mozzarella cheese sticks and some of his phenomenal cottage cheese. Like all shrewd dealers of addictive substances, Mike gave me a free container out of the back of his van the other week so that I could try it out - they only make a small amount of it so it's not out on display to the general public. I was hooked after the first bite! Since my sister is addicted to the Kettle Corn at The Market, she requested that I get some to bring to her on Monday. Lenny was happy to pop me up 3 large bags. He very considerately put it into 6 medium bags since those bags are thicker and will keep the kettle corn fresher for longer.
Over all, a very productive day at the market albeit a very cold and wet one.
For dinner tonight it'll be black-eyed peas (from Hariston Creek Organic Farms - bought last summer and kept in the freezer) cooked with a small ham bone from Finca Pura Vida.

No comments: