Tuesday, May 27, 2008

what happened to 1988?

Last night I was going through my storage box that contains all of my diary/day planners going back to 1977. Yes, that wasn't a typo. I started in 1977 with a 5 year diary. I still had a year to go in the 5 year diary but on Jan 1, 1981 I shifted to using a pocket calendar. In 1984 I switched to a weekly planner and in 1987 I switched to a daily planner. In 1992 I switched back to a weekly planner and 2001 I started including my Microsoft Outlook calendar into the mix. Don't get me wrong, these aren't journals of my thoughts, they are logs of my day's activities and money earned or spent. With a little drama added in sometimes.

But, back to where this post started.
I can't find the planner for 1988!! It's not in the box, it's not in the other 2 memorabilia boxes either. Maybe it's in a dresser drawer (I don't know why it would be there)? See, 1988 was an important year seeing as how that's when Joe and I started. But we didn't meet until the summer and that leaves a whole 6 months before he came along that is recorded and NOT TO BE FOUND! Not to mention our first 6 months together!

Don't worry, I'm not going to use them to go all PW on y'all; I just like to read through them every few years to see if I can remember people's last names and to shake my head at the child and teenager I was, so desperate for attention and approval and usually going about it the wrong way.
I'm enjoying reading that 5 year diary currently. It covers from just before I turned 11 in 5th grade through the first half of 10th grade just before I turned 16. Anyone that knows me from those days can totally imagine what I'm reading. Roller skating with Suzanne B all around the neighborhood. Seeing Star Wars and Close Encounters at the movie theater. My obsession with boys. Hanging out with questionable people down at the river. Walking everywhere. Ice skating with Robin G every weekend. Meeting up with friends at Sherwood Hall Library. Taking the late bus home from Jr High. Going to the SRA Pool EVERY day for the entire summer. My obsession with boys. Hanging out at FHHS football, basketball and baseball games. Playing a lot of tennis. The long walk to the nearest 7-11. Walking everywhere. Living for church 'activities'. Visiting my sisters at college in Cha'ville and Richmond. Living with my sister in Loxahatchee. Mister Skinner. FHES assemblies.

I read 1984 through 1989 (minus 1988!) last night - what a total roller coaster! I'm not really wanting to read through the more recent books since there's not much in those, although I thumbed through 1991 and 92 and boy, we sure did go to a lot of movies in those days. And ate out a lot too. The first place we ate after I moved here was at Hut's for dinner.

After school today and after grocery shopping I'm going to search high and low for that year. I'd like to find it because I wouldn't want it to be lost but I wonder if I actually destroyed that one. When I boxed these up in 2001 I think that I would have put a note in the box that a year was missing. Wish me luck!

No comments: