Monday, April 07, 2008

Hummingbird

On Friday afternoon I was standing on the back deck and along came a hummingbird, the first one of the season, to check out the EMPTY hummingbird feeder. She buzzed around it a few times, landed on it, stuck her tongue in to double check, turned to look at me and then flew off in a tiff. I IMMEDIATELY took down the feeder, cleaned it and filled it and rehung it before she came back to fuss at me.
Some of you may be laughing in disbelief, others of you that have had hummingbirds of your 'own' know exactly what I'm talking about.
8 years ago, I'm camping out in the back yard with the dog one Summer night. At dawn the next morning I wake up to an angry buzzing and chirping outside the tent entrance. It was a hummingbird letting me know that the feeder was empty and that he was hungry NOW! He stormed around the tent for a good 10 minutes until I came out then he flew over to the feeder, he fussed some more and then flew off while I went inside to make more food.
Bossy little things!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Natalie! What a sweet comment you left me! Thank you so much. It's funny that you caught the picture. I just wanted it on the blog and not on the profile or when I left comments. I caught what I did and changed it. I'm glad you caught it though!

So what did you do with all those strawberries?