Monday, April 07, 2008

Done!

7 and 3/4 quarts of pureed strawberries later, I'm done! I left one container hulled but not pureed so that we have some to eat for tomorrow. The 3/4 quart container is in the fridge for use in fruit milk soon and all the rest is in the freezer. 3 quarts are in quart-sized Ziploc bags, 3 quarts are in empty sherbet containers (from last week) and 1 quart is in a Ziploc freezer container. All the cleanup is done except for washing the 1/4 cup measuring cup and my sampling spoon and the measuring spoons.
Per quart of puree I added in 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
With all of this puree in addition to the 4 pounds that I froze whole last week, we'll be set for the next year.

Fruit milk is simply 1 quart of very cold milk, some honey or sugar, several dashes of cinnamon, 2 dashes of ginger, and a bunch of whatever fruit you want (frozen or fresh, it doesn't matter). If you like it fruitier then add more fruit. If I'm NOT using any bananas then I'll add a bit of vanilla flavoring. Oh, you put all of this in the blender (or in the big 5-cup mixing container that came with your (my) immersion blender) and blend it on high until it's smooth. Pour it into cups and enjoy. If you don't want to drink it right away it's great to pour into those cool popsicle molds that have the built-in straws and freeze them up for eating later on a hot summer day. Today I made it with 3 or 4 very ripe medium-sized bananas, 3 ripe baby bananas, honey, cinnamon, ginger and about 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries (from last summer). It's my kids' favorite!

No comments: