Friday, May 11, 2007

New Addition To The Family

We got a new Betta today. He's a red, white and blue Crown Tail Betta so we have named him Captain America, Captain for short. Olympus shipped my camera this morning so I'll have a picture posted of him in a few days. He's just a baby, probably about 3 months old, so he should be around for a few years.
When we got him home, the first thing that we did was put him into the water pot that the variegated ginger pot sits in. It's chock full of mosquito larvae, or at least was until I caught most of them and fed them to the guppies (which have been multiplying like guppies - 12 to 15 live fry every 28 days and able to reproduce at 2 months), so he was in fish heaven for the first 30 min here. He ate until he was stuffed and then took a nap. Then he gently swam into the net for transport into the big 3 gallon community bowl. He's spry enough that any new guppy babies will be easily caught and eaten by him - nothing like natural population control. The next batch of guppy fry is due in another 7 days and I think that some of the older ones are going to have to move out of the 1/2 gallon supplemental bowl and into our neighbor's backyard fish pond.

Oh, and we got 3 new butterfly/water creature nets today too!

Giselle's been doing really well on her money lessons in school these past 3 days so she'll be a real help tomorrow at The Market - she's really looking forward to it.

And I got a call from the Central Texas Blood Bank this afternoon - a 7 year old girl is getting surgery on Monday and they need some fresh B Positive for her - so we'll be headed over there to donate a pint after we finish up at The Market. I love being able to give blood - it's such a cool feeling to know that something that my body makes can be the gift of life for someone else, someone that I don't even know. I guess that'll go on my Sunday Seven!

Did I mention that we got more crawfish on Monday when we did our weekly shopping? Well we did and they are currently living happily in the crawfish pool. I'll be evicting them this weekend.

1 comment:

Suz said...

hey! what happened to you guys at the park today!!