Monday, April 02, 2007

school can be done ANYWHERE!

Today while grocery shopping Giselle started helping me do cost analyses. One in particular was while we were in the cheese section. The HEB Easy Melt individually wrapped slices were all on sale. As I know from running numbers in my head every time I shop, something on sale is not always the cheaper cost-per-ounce/item choice. In this case BOTH the 24 slice packages and the 16 slice packages were on sale, the 24 slice packages were 2 for $5 and the 16 slice packages were 3 for $5. Now Giselle is NOT doing multiplication yet but she is able to understand the concept behind multiplication - it's a way to quickly add together the same number many times - through addition. So I wrote the 2 math problems down on my shopping list (I wrote the actual problems vertically which is a much easier way to solve 2 and 3 digit equations but that didn't translate well into blogger so I'm writing them horizontal here):
24+24=
16+16+16=
First I had her add 16 +16, then she added 16 to that answer for a total of 48. Then she easily added the 24 + 24 and got 48 again. I asked her "So, which is the better deal?" and she said "You get 48 slices each way, they're the SAME!" and then I let her pick which ones we got for our $5 (she picked the 24 slice packages).
As I put back the 16 slice package and got the other package of cheese a young woman that works there says to me "How old is your little girl?" I replied "She'll be 6 in May." and she says "Wow, I've never heard a kid be able to do that before, that's great!" I said something like "Yes it is!" and we went about the rest of our shopping.
Tomorrow we are going to learn on the Internet about how they dry clean clothes - I dropped Giselle's flower girl dress off at the dry cleaners and she asked how they do what they do and I said that we'd find out for school. Maybe we'll ask to take a tour of the facility when we go pick the dress up on Wednesday!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Yes, it's good to know what they do to at the dry cleaners! What an important lesson.

Not only do they wash YOUR clothes in the same load as OTHER people's clothes (like gross me out!), but they use dangerous chemicals to clean them(then you're putting those chemical-infested clothes right next on your skin).

I know a lot of people who have owned a dry cleaning business and who have died prematurely from cancer (dry cleaning businesses run in my family & my neighbors owned a dry cleaning business - all cancer victims).

I avoid clothing that has to be dry-cleaned. You'll see me wearing cotton knit, knit, and more knit.