Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Secrets to a Perfectly Moist Meatloaf

I'm making meatloaf for the kids for the first time tonight. As usual, I'm winging it for the recipe but I thought that I'd confirm what I felt should be the appropriate cooking time and temp. I was right.

The Secrets to a Perfectly Moist Meatloaf

My recipe is based on the meatloaf that my mom used to make when I was a kid and the meatloaf that they serve at Shady Grove restaurant here in Austin. I'm using 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb ground pork, 1/2 lb cooked penne pasta, 1/2 lb cooked peas, diced carrots, and corn, 1/4 cup medium salsa, a LOT of freshly ground sea salt mix (it tastes JUST like Lawry's Salt which was my old standby for meat seasoning), some fresh ground pepper, and 2 TBS of minced garlic. No bread crumbs (that's what the pasta's for) and no egg. When it's time to serve it I'll pour some queso on top of each slice.

I think they'll like it!

No comments: