Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sugar substitutes and the potential danger of Splenda

I looked into what sweetener Sonic uses in their flavored teas. It's not listed on the web site but I called corporate and was told that it's sucralose, aka Splenda.
SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener, or sucralose, is made from a process that begins with sugar through a patented, multi-step process that selectively replaces three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms. The result is an exceptionally stable sweetener without the calories found in sugar. After consumption, 70 to 80% of sucralose passes through the body without being broken down for energy.
I investigated further and came up with this: Sugar substitutes and the potential danger of Splenda .
I guess I'm not getting my half and half peach tea anymore, instead I'll get the plain peach tea and add my own organic agave nectar. Then again, who knows what the peach flavor is. I guess I'll go back to making my own organic peach tea with agave at home. I'll just reuse the giant styrofoam cup from Sonic - you can't go wrong with 44 oz of iced tea!

No comments: