Wednesday, March 11, 2009

fractions

This week Giselle mastered adding and subtracting mixed fractions with unlike denominators! Gosh it was so awesome to teach her this because I perfected them too. I remember having a hard time with them when I was a kid but I realize now that no one ever taught me the 'tricks' to mastering all math problems. Well, I've taught Giselle how all math is inter-related and gotten her to truly understand how everything really comes down to addition and subtraction of ten numbers - 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 - and remembering Place Value! We spent Monday and Tuesday 'getting' subtracting the unlike denominators so when she tried adding them today she said "Oh, this is pretty easy once you get the hang of it!"
This is one of the pages we worked on yesterday http://www.mathfactcafe.com/view/viewsheet.aspx?vid=1&g=4&f=s_s_funlikea&m=p
and this is the one we did today http://www.mathfactcafe.com/view/viewsheet.aspx?vid=1&g=4&f=s_a_funlikea&m=p

Don't tell her but the one that we did today will be her test on Friday, but she won't get any tips (helpful reminders) from me during the test.


I also want to plug a wonderful math blog that I read - http://letsplaymath.wordpress.com/ I have found so many tips and games and websites by reading this blog and I want to pass on the love of math to others.


Next Friday we start our knitting class together. It's during the morning so it won't interfere with Park Day. It's part of the Christian Living extra-curricular classes that our church offers. There's another homeschool family at church and I'm trying to get the mom and her daughter (Giselle's age) to take the class with us. We'll be making a shawl and we're both pretty excited about it; Paul's looking forward to hanging out in the nursery with his favorite Sunday School teachers.

No comments: