Sunday, November 09, 2008

coconut oil

I've been slow to jump on the coconut oil bandwagon - I'm just not that much into oil. But when a friend of mine told me a few months ago about its ability to 'cure' just about every ailment, I started trying it.
For the first few weeks Paul was happy to take it by the spoonful every night but then he reached his gross-out point and didn't want it any more. I don't blame him, I was grossed out the first time I tried it and wasn't going back for more, same with Giselle. A mouthful of oil is just about the grossest thing in the world.
So then I was stuck with the dilemma of how to get the oil into their diet without making our food taste greasy. Karma cooks her popcorn in it and her popcorn is fantastic, but we don't have a popper and I don't feel like having popcorn around all the time. I may have to go there though, eventually. The other week, Claudia suggested 'candy' balls. I said "Candy balls?" She said "Mix together 1 cup of nut butter, 1 cup of coconut oil, 1/4 cup of honey. Chill it, roll into balls, keep it cold and let the kids eat as much as they want (within reason)." So in the middle of last week I made some but I modified the recipe: I added uncooked oatmeal, about 1 cup, and half a bag of organic semi-sweet chocolate chips. The kids really like them, A LOT, and gladly eat 1 after every meal. I think that for the next batch I'll take Claudia's suggestion of adding cocoa powder to the mix, leaving out the chips.

1 comment:

Frederick said...

Hello Natalie! Many times, just a little ingenuity is all you need to make it just right, even great. What you were able to come up with is proof.

You may also want to add virgin coconut oil (VCO) to smoothies. This is a popular way to obtain coconut oil's health benefits, especially for someone who is not a certified fan of coconut's aroma and/or taste. Just make sure that the coconut oil is warm enough so that it will mix well in the smoothie.

Cheers,
CoconutOilGuy
www.coconut-oil-central.com
Your Drugstore in a Bottle