Wednesday, July 02, 2008

food update

Yesterday I took the half case of ugly heirloom tomatoes (pink brandywine, Kellogg's breakfast, pineapple and yellow brandywine) that Edgar gave me at the market and finally made sauce with them. Actually, I made paste with them. Canning that was a new adventure. It was thicker than the usual sauce I can so the air bubbles rose differently in the jars and they all didn't make a seal on the first go around. Then I took a quarter cup out of each jar, making it 7 1-pint jars instead of 6, and tried again with success. Well, success with all but one that refused to hold a seal, even when I stuck it into the fridge to cool. So that's the one that Paul ate half of for lunch today and we used the rest of it at dinner on top of our mushroom ravioli.

Well the kids had ravioli, I had 3 cucumbers and a serving of our dessert - fresh organic strawberries and blueberries with fresh whisked cream. I got the strawberries and blueberries at HEB this afternoon - the blueberries were on sale for $2.99 for a half pint (Organic from Cleveland, TX) so I bought 18 of them. I think I'm going to make the Blueberry Grunt recipe that I saw in my latest issue of Cook's Country with some of them for the Forth of July.

Oh, while the tomatoes were cooking down yesterday the kids and I made meringues. Wow, were they ever easy and they sure disappeared FAST! We were all amazed that just 2 egg whites, some cream of tarter, some vanilla and some mint and 1/2 cup of sugar could make 24 cookies. Once I got the whites all whisked up it looked much more substantial and the kids said that I could do all the whisking from now on. We really liked the touch of mint that I added; they tasted like roasted mint marshmallows. I'm sure that I'll be whisking those up again real soon!

And the wine DID come from HEB and I got 6 more bottles of it today - it'll be my gift wine to take to other people's houses for the summer.

And I got the rest of the fixins to make two casseroles for my friend with the newborn baby (#3) so I'll be making those tomorrow. And then I get to go SEE THE NEW BABY while I deliver the food!

And the new blender worked GREAT yesterday; I'm pleased with it so far.

No comments: