Sunday, July 13, 2008

1988

Since my post a few months ago, what-happened-to-1988, I've had several people come to my blog because they too are having trouble remembering or finding the year 1988. Strange.

What can I remember from 1988?
Right around the 4th of July, a group of us went to King's Dominion in Richmond, VA for the day. One of us was on crutches due to an on-the-job accident (he was a bicycle courier) so ALL of us got to go to the front of EVERY line and ride on the coaster or whatever for as many times as we wanted!
The Bon Jovi album called New Jersey came out.
Holly and I saw a whole lot of concerts. I was going to say that we saw The Cult with Metallica at the Capitol Center but that was in 1989.
I was still working at Kemp Mill Records in Georgetown.
Def Leppard was still on tour for Hysteria.
Ronald Reagan was still president so there was still a Rock Against Reagan concert on The Mall before the 4th of July.
The Iran-Contra thing and all that mess was going on.
The Last Emperor was STILL playing in the movie theaters - gosh that was a LONG movie!
Andy Gibb died - I used to have his poster hanging on my ceiling when I was a pre-teen.
The girl from the movie Poltergeist died.
Chet Baker died. There was a cool documentary about him 'cause he was a famous jazz trumpeter.
The guy from The Red Hot Chili Peppers died - I saw them both before he died and after he died. "True men don't kill coyotes."
Roy Orbison died just before the Traveling Wilburys went on tour.

Oh, and it's the year that I met my husband, Joe. Which kind of overshadows everything else that happened that year.

No comments: