Saturday, May 03, 2008

Pot Roast

The other night, Tuesday, when we had Thomas & Bobby over for dinner I was trying to make a dry-roasted chuck roast but it didn't cook for long enough so we ate roasted pork loin and tamales instead. At the time I stuck the roast into the fridge to wait for another day and today was the day. About an hour after we got home from The Farmers Market I stuck the roast and juice into the slow cooker and set it to cooking. I worked on math with Giselle for a few hours and then she went to play across the street with a friend while I watched Monster Jam with Paul. At about 5:45 I threw some garlic, carrots, another onion and a bunch of cauliflower into the slow cooker with the meat to round out the meal. Giselle came home at 6:30, Joe woke up at 6:30 because the dog barked at Giselle coming home, and we all ate dinner together at 6:35. The meat was very good, the carrots were just right and the cauliflower was a tiny bit on the underdone side. I like my cauliflower either raw or overcooked, not really anywhere else in between. Giselle drank her juice out of her bowl, she liked it that much. Joe was very pleased with his surprise dinner - he likes to eat VERY shortly after he wakes up from a nap and he had no clue that I had planned dinner for us.

I'm turning all the leftovers into beef broth - I added another onion, a LOT of garlic and some pepper to the slow cooker and I'm going to cook it all overnight to make a WONDERFUL broth/bullion/stock for future use. I really like having homemade broth handy. I keep raw shrimp shells in the freezer to make seafood broth/stock at a moment's notice for Asian noodle soup.

Do you have a favorite kohlrabi recipe? I've got a lot of it and I'm probably just going to make kohlrabi pancakes with them (very similar to potato pancakes/latkas).

Speaking of latkas, I never really cared for Taxi. Maybe I was too young when that and Barney Miller were on the air to really appreciate the humor. I remember the shows and watched them but never really 'got' them.

A friend dropped off a six pack of Smirnoff Ice in the Strawberry-Acai flavor. I'm trying my second bottle (don't worry, I had my first bottle a week ago) and I think that I like the flavor. Next six pack I'm going to try the Watermelon or the Wild Grape.

I hear a kid crying, gotta go

No comments: