Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chocolate marshmallow ice cream


We made the ice cream today - remember, Edgar gave us extra milk on Saturday so that we could make some this week. It's mmm, mmm, delicious. I didn't use marshmallow creme, instead I mixed 1 cup of mini marshmallows into each half-gallon before I froze them in their containers.

Here's my recipe for this batch:
In a large metal bowl beat together 8 eggs and 1.25 cups of sugar. Beat for 5 min. Switch out beaters on mixer for whiskers. Whisk in 6 cups of whole milk, 3 cups of heavy cream, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsp vanilla and an entire 9 oz bar of La Popular Mexican Chocolate (melted). Whisk until blended. Pour into the metal canister of your ice cream maker (if your maker does not hold a whole gallon then half the recipe), put the dasher in, put the lid on, attach the turning mechanism and churn or plug it in until it's solid or your electric ice cream maker says that it's done. Transfer the soft/uncured ice cream into 2 half-gallon containers (those Ziploc/Glad/store brand 8-cup plastic storage containers work great) and stir 1 cup of mini marshmallows into each one.Put the lids on and stick them in the freezer for curing/hardening/storage. This batch made almost 3 cups more than 1 gallon so the 3 of us ate the rest as soft ice cream in our way cool ice cream cups - I had mine without marshmallows.

The next batch will be mint - I'll use crushed candy canes!

Since we ate the ice cream as our first course of dinner, the kids had cheese tortellini for dinner and I had a bowl of mixed veggies. As soon as this is done (transferring the pictures from my camera to the 2 computers, resizing for the Internet and posting them into this post) I have to tackle the dishes from the ice cream making.


Oh, I haven't mentioned the dishwasher yet!
Joe bought me a new dish washer last week! The one that we had was original equipment from when this house was built in 1983 and it had long since not worked correctly. Well, I never used it anyway for anything other than a place to store my oversized metal mixing bowls and the oversized plastic serving bowls. I'm still storing the bowls in the new dishwasher but I have actually used it 2 times! Or is it 3 times? No, just 2. The deal is that I can't stand using the washer as a holding tank until I have enough dirty dishes to do a full load and that takes about 3 or 4 days. So I end up washing by hand most of the time like I've done for the last 25 years of my life. I usually don't have many plates, it's mostly silverware, cups and bowls that need to be cleaned. And all of my cookware which can't go in the washer anyway. But it sure makes washing the milk bottles easy! I'm sure that as the kids get older and use more plates & cups (regardless of my nagging to rinse and reuse instead of dirtying another one) that it will get more use.

No comments: