Sunday, October 07, 2007

candy or at least an attempt at making candy

So, using a verbal receipe from Gayla, I attempted to make Ayote squash candy this evening. I have NEVER even tried to make any kind of candy so this was totally new to me. I guess that I didn't cook it for quite long enough because even after cooling it's still not firm. It's thicker than apple sauce but thinner than jelly in it's consistency. BUT it tastes GREAT!!! It tastes like pumpkin filling and I'm going to either get fat eating it this week or I'm going to freeze it up to make pumpkin/squash pie this winter or, oh I know, I'll put it into my next batch of ice cream! I'll make vanilla with a candied squash swirl in it! MMMMM, I can just taste it now. Seriously, after I post this I'm going to have another spoonful of the squash and then go to bed.

I used 2 or 3 lbs of ayote squash cut into large chunks, enough water to almost cover the squash. I cooked it until it was fork-tender then added in a 24 oz bag of brown sugar and stirred the whole thing until it was thick. I guess that it should have been thicker but I was tired of stirring and the kids were almost done with dinner (hot dogs with chili) by that time. I poured it into a 15 x10 baking pan lined with Glad Wrap to cool and then put it in the fridge. Oh well, at least it doesn't taste bad!

1 comment:

poetmom said...

Actually, that sounds pretty good. Your sqaush candy AND the hot dogs with chili.:) The candy sounds kind of like when a batch of fudge doesn't harden up just right. Doesn't matter, just grab a spoon and dig in.